Thursday, June 15, 2006

bringing the world in

While nursing Emma just now I listened to a little bit of BBC World Service radio (via WFDD). It was the program "Outlook". They were interviewing a British woman who worked in Ethiopia during the worst part of the famine in the 1980s. She described how awful she felt about all the people she couldn't help at the Red Cross camp, all the ones they had to turn away. The presenter got an Ethiopian man on the phone who had been a 5 year old boy at the camp when this woman was there, and he tried to make the woman feel better. He had received the food, could stop begging on the streets with his brother, and went on to be able to go to school and eventually university. Now he's back in the same city teaching high school history. It was a nice 10 minutes of humanity to listen to while I nursed my chubby-cheeked baby who has everything she needs. These events happened around the time I was finishing high school. I add BBC World Service radio to my list of Things I Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home