Saturday, May 05, 2007

radical inspiration

When people talk about the future of the planet and our disappearing natural resouces, one of the first implications I think of is How Plastic Will Become a Precious Substance. After all, it's a petroleum product.... Today I learned about a few people who are trying to live a plastic-free life -- can you imagine??? This blog is funny and thought-provoking: http://plasticfree.blogspot.com/ I like how the blogger pokes fun at herself but is movingly earnest. I admire what she's doing. I had already started to be more conscious of my use of plastic, trying to save and reuse it a little more. Maybe I should stash some of E's plastic toys in the attic to save for her; when she's 60 she can sell them and retire on the proceeds. Can you picture those green diaper-wipes containers being used as chic flower vases or tissue boxes? There will be big money in mining the landfills for used plastic. Margarine tubs and shampoo bottles will be like those antiques that people decorate with now (soft drink signs, picket fence slats, stuff like that). What materials will be cheap when plastic becomes expensive? It's not like we're going to suddenly have more forests, I don't think. Maybe cotton farmers will finally find their prestigious place in the world! Families could plant trees in their yards in place of the plastic lawn ornaments, and start investing in their own sheep.

I don't think I'm ready to cut plastic out of my life completely, but I think what I'll do first is try to reduce the amount of it that I buy just to throw away - like in food packaging. I'm open to any tips you readers have! We'll all be more prepared for the future if we learn to live without it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home