Thursday, November 29, 2007

reaching out

E surprised and delighted me last night. When I said she could play by herself while I fixed her dinner, I expected the usual loud whining protest, "Mommy, play, me!" (accompanied by attempts to grab me by the leg and drag me to the living room). Instead, she had an idea. She said, "Daddy play". I said, "Oh, yes, I bet Daddy will play with you! Go in there and ask him. Say 'Daddy play with me?'" She was already heading toward his office. She walked in eagerly and said sincerely, "Daddy, play, me?" I translated for him and then she added, of her own accord, "please!" (It sounds like "BEEZE".) He said, "What do you want to play?" She went and got her little play toolbox and indicated she wanted to play on the waterbed. I got to fix dinner in peace.

This was such a delight because for a long time E has been so rude to her Daddy when I'm around, not wanting him to pick her up when she could have me instead. She's fine when I'm not there, apparently, but it's been really annoying and hurtful. This is the first time I've seen her reach out to him, unprompted, in my presence. And she even went into a different room from me and played with him for a while without looking for me or mentioning me (I think). I keep telling both of them that one day, E will think Daddy is more fun than Mommy.

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Yaa hooo! That is really exciting -- for everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home