Sunday, January 27, 2008

girly girl cheered me up

This morning I decided to go to church. I got dressed in my usual beloved casual clothes, which are fine at my church. Then when I dressed E, she looked up at this blue velvet dress hanging up and I asked if she wanted to wear it. She said "yes!" I said, "It's cold out. You'll have to wear tights with it." That's usually been the stumbling block for her wearing dresses - she refuses tights. But this time she just smiled and said, "Tights!" So we dressed her up in the blue velvet, white tights and white turtleneck. She hated the turtleneck and fought it but I convinced her to put it on just long enough to look in the mirror. Then if she didn't like the look, I said, we could change it. I stood her up on the bathroom counter to see her whole self, and her little face just lit up! She loved her look. It was priceless to see her reaction.

Of course, I had to change my clothes to be seen with her! While I was putting on my tights and skirt, she waited for me in the living room. This is what she was doing when I came out and saw her. She squinted up when I said "smile".
The blue velvet dress used to be mine, nearly 40 years ago!

She also decided to wear all the barrettes we could see. It was at least eight.
And to carry a purse.

It was a nice morning. She was the only child in the nursery, and I enjoyed the message which was about different concepts of "heaven". We went to lunch afterward with Victor and his family. Victor kept saying, "Hi, Sarah" and patting me on the butt as we waited in the cafeteria line. After that I took E for a stroller nap, and my friend Kelly and I walked in a pretty neighborhood for about an hour. And now, David has come home! For just one night, but I'm happy to see him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home