Saturday, May 28, 2011

literal minds

E's been learning at preschool an American Indian poem/chant/song that apparently goes something like this:

The Earth is our Mother.
We must take care of our Mother.
The Sky is our Father.
We must take care of our Father.
The mountains are our Grandfather.
We must take care of our Grandfather.
The oceans are our Grandmother.
We must take care of our Grandmother.

It's been really inspiring to me to hear E talking about respecting and taking care of our planet, and I'm loving her learning this beautiful spiritual perspective. I talked about ways we can show respect and take care by not littering, not wasting, etc. When she let the water run too long after brushing her teeth, she said, "Sorry, Grandmother!" I thought that was cool.

Yesterday at the sink she told me something like, "You know, the ocean is made of our Grandmother's spit." When I laughed it surprised her. She held up her hands and said, "Because it's liquid!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home