Saturday, November 04, 2006

sign language

A few months ago I sort of halfway started trying to use sign language with Emma - for concepts "more" "eat" and "milk". I wasn't very consistent. But this week when I saw her doing things with her hands and one movement made while she was nursing looked like the "milk" sign, I started trying to be more diligent with the signs. Last night she signed "more" (or at least that's the one it most looked like) and I reinforced it while she was eating, getting her to sign it every time before I gave her another bite of baby food. She thought it was a fun game. Then this morning, she did the sign to me twice, on her own initiative. The first time she clearly wanted to nurse. The second time, not sure, but she was definitely satisfied with my reaction to the sign - I gave her a zwieback toast. We have communication!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home