Friday, March 07, 2008

bye, May

Our 10 year old cat Ellie May had to be put to sleep today. She had been looking pitiful for a few days and this morning I took her to the vet who was really worried about her. This evening she started having a lot of trouble breathing and they took an x-ray, found her heart was "unbelievably huge". It was congestive heart failure. My mom was visiting and she and E and I all sat in a little room and said goodbye to my friend. (David's still in the midwest, a late train having delayed their return by 2 days!)

I took these pictures this morning because I was worried it would be the last time E saw her buddy "May". I know you can't really see the cat, but I was hurrying to get her to the vet, didn't take time to pose anyone.

The other day E was holding tissues to EM's nose and putting her arm around her, saying "Blow nose, May. Hold still." I thought the cat was surprisingly tolerant - now I realize she was bone tired.



So E did get to see her again one more time, and she said "Bye, May" and petted her gently. It hasn't sunk in that she won't see her again, but I said it a few times trying to explain why I was crying and sad.

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

J said that Freddy (our cat who had a similar illness and whom we had put to sleep when I was pregnant with MC) will be happy to have his cousin Ellie May to play with in Heaven. I miss Freddy, and I'm sad about Ellie May. But it makes me smile to think of the two of them with Nadine in Heaven. Don't know what their "playing" together would look like, but I think they must be happy to be together, and I'm glad that none of them is so sick anymore.

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry to hear about Ellie May. A dear, sweet cat who certainly impressed Baden each time we visited :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home