Saturday, April 29, 2006

weekend update

Happy weekend, everyone! E woke up about 5 am today, and David 45 minutes later, because he was going to Fort Bragg today to wear a robot costume for their annual children's festival. I'm glad it's not too hot out today. However, I haven't taken advantage of the good weather yet, other than to open the windows for the cats. E and I had a short nap after she finished breakfast. Then in quick succession she managed to get creamy spit-up smeared in her ear and poop running down her leg, so it was off to a well-needed bath! She played a while after that, had her brunch, and I enjoyed holding her for 30 minutes of her three-hour nap. I got a lot done during her nap and then got sleepy by the time she was waking up -- always happens that way. Now, would you believe this, I've gotten semi-domestic today. I put a crockpot meal on this morning (a frozen one I'd had in there since last year sometime), and now I'm baking brownies. E is getting sleepy again, but good-naturedly so. She's on the living room floor, kicking her legs in the air, chewing her fingers and toys. Since this morning she's been practicing saying "dada" though I don't think she has any meaning for the word yet.

Yesterday David kept E until lunchtime, then brought her by CCL and left her with me so he could get ready for today's gig. E made a lot of people smile around the office, and I got wise this time by limiting her stimulation a little. We'd go round the cubicles and see maybe 3 people, then come back to my office for a while. She even took a 20 minute nap on blankets on the floor, which was pretty good considering how distracted she was. The two of us stayed on at CCL for their quarterly art reception. The art is photographs by local people, mostly nature scenes but some portraits and building details. Very good photos. I pushed Emma around in the stroller while I munched on hors doeuvres. She gnawed on a toy the whole time, occasionally stopping to stare at someone, but she was winding down for the evening. I had a good time chatting to a few people and relaxing.

This week I noticed that Emma no longer gets her arm stuck when rolling over onto her front. The other small change is that now when she gets a bib or blanket over her face she figures out how to move it. She'll either turn her head or grasp at the cloth and pull in various directions until she can see again. Used to be, she'd throw her arms and legs out and hold still in an almost trembling alertness, waiting to make sense of this sudden change in the world (everything's turned to pink flannel!) or for someone to put things back to normal for her. She never seemed to panic about it; she didn't cry. She'd just be very very alert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home