Tuesday, January 02, 2007

the ambassador's receptions

Good morning everyone! I go back to work today, after 2 weeks off, so we're back to our blogging routine. This post title is inspired by an old tv commercial that popped into my head, for decadent chocolate candy: "The ambassador's receptions were the talk of the town" (or something like that). Then a slinky lady with a thick foreign accent takes a candy from a silver tray and says, "Monsieur, with Ferrero Rocher you are spoiling us!"

Yes, I'm eating chocolate for breakfast again. It's a great way to wake up.

Ever since this weekend when I heard on the radio "The Capitol Steps" perform a rendition of "Springtime for Liberals, and Hillary" I've had that tune in my head. In case you're not familiar with The Producers (a musical), it's about a couple of con men who set out to produce the worst Broadway show ever. They come up with "Springtime for Hitler" and the tune "Springtime for Hitler, and Germany" is performed with showgirls wearing the top half of a Nazi uniform, high kicking, etc. The line that always sticks and annoys the heck outta me is "the goose-step's the new step, this year".

I would like to post something thoughtful and reflective for the new year, but that's really not where I'm at this morning. Where I'm at is, "oh my gosh, how will I ever get all that work done that I didn't get done in December???" I successfully put work out of my mind for 1 and a half weeks of my 2 week vacation, before I started fretting about it. I hate that I always waste the last few days of a vacation that way. That's why I agree with whoever said you need at least 3 weeks off work in a row: first week to stop thinking about work, second week to enjoy yourself, third week to get ready to go back to work (including the worrying and the laundry).

Time to go - time for the 2nd cup of tea and responding to E's deliberate loud whines from the crib. More travelogue this week, and possibly we'll get around to the Christmas photos.

Happy New Year to my readers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home