Sunday, February 14, 2010

my last living grandparent

I don't know what I want to write, exactly. I've just been reading posts from other blogs by family members, most of them about my Grandma who is clearly "slipping away". She turned 91 last month. When I saw her on Tuesday she smiled and recognized me, said, "Well, hey there!" I said she looked cosy, all curled up in bed with pillows and blankets. She agreed she was. A little bit later, Daddy commented, "Sarah said you look cosy," and she said, "I'm as snug as a bug in a rug!" She also agreed when I said she looked happy and comfortable. We just sat and visited around her as she dozed off and on, and once she spoke up and asked, "Sarah, where are you living now?" My parents looked at each other and said, "wow." Nobody expected her to remember where I live, it was just "wow" that she made the effort and had the clarity to ask a question and understand the answer, because she hadn't been very responsive recently. I gave too long of an answer about living in Greensboro, including the driving time to get there. After a few moments she reflected, "It's a long drive?" "Yes," I said. It felt especially long that day, driving in the ferocious cold rain.

After our visit I let my parents buy me dinner and I gorged myself on fried seafood in fine family tradition!

2 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Helen said...

My visit with her that day was an incredible experience. Having you here with our immediate family that afternoon made it all the more special. Thanks for making the long drive in the cold rain.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger kimgwest said...

I can totally relate to the "gorging ourselves on fried seafood in fine family tradition." I'm so glad you and Helen had a beautiful opportunity to say goodbye to grandma. See you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home