Sunday, May 07, 2006

tips for waking yourself up

I learned some of these before I had a baby but they sure come in handy now. This morning she's been cat-napping and so have I, since 5 am.

SIGNAL YOUR BRAIN IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP:
* turn on all the lights and the radio
* if the sun's up yet, let some sunlight in
* have a very small ritual that you do first thing every morning when you're waking up (I put my kettle on for tea, change the cats' water and refill their food)
STIMULATION:
* interact with a pet or a baby - talk to them, wake up your voice, smile at them, wake up your face and emotions
* read from an exciting book (you may need to set a strict time limit with yourself!)
* sniff a scent you love (favorite lotion or candle, or food)
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
* do something that doesn't require brainwork but makes you feel productive (I usually wash a couple of dishes or fold some laundry)
* stretch (standing up stretches only)
* whatever you do, do NOT sit down on a sofa or comfortable chair!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home