Thursday, October 12, 2006

the world is very global

The title of this post is deliberately inane. Of course it's a global world - that's what global means. But the word global is being thrown around as short hand for other concepts, like multi-cultural, interconnected, "small" (as in the world is getting smaller). My work is giving me a taste of the global life. I log on to my work email every workday morning around 5 am, when my colleagues in our Singapore office are finishing their day (this very day - they're 12 hours ahead). Because they work with a lot of people in the US they are often on email or attending phone meetings at night, not stopping work promptly at 5:00. So sometimes I'm lucky enough to have a "real-time" email exchange during my early pre-work session. When Daylight Savings Time kicks in later this month Singapore will be 13 hours ahead of us, and it's harder to schedule those phone meetings and be online at the same time.

I am adding these odd hours to my work schedule because I've been having trouble getting in to the office at 8 am like I'm supposed to. The odd hours will help me put in enough time to get my work done. I've added an hour on Sunday evenings also (Monday morning in Singapore). I'm a morning person for sure, and it works to my advantage for this! Last night I went to bed at 8:00.

The hardest part of the morning routine is if I get my shower after Emma's awake - she hates to be left alone. She used to fall back asleep after her first waking/nursing, but now she doesn't want to miss anything. So I pull one of our 3 baby containers into the hall (high chair, exer-saucer, playpen) and leave the bathroom door open, and if she fusses I play peekaboo from behind the shower curtain. While I'm in the kitchen she usually stands at the foot of her high chair and plays with the straps. She used to just gnaw on them, but now she tries to fasten them. She's intrigued by fasteners - buckles and straps, snaps.

Editing this post at 6:24 - she's in the playpen playing with baby food jar lids (a great toy, highly recommended).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home