Wednesday, February 24, 2010

the significance of donuts

Grandma's funeral was very nice. The two ministers did a good job even if they called her "Miss Annie" instead of "Annie C." It was very good considering they didn't really know her. I appreciated their research and their efforts. There was a man who sang, whom Grandma had requested to sing at her funeral. He rearranged his schedule when he found out his honor. That was very nice.

I have been slow to upload my photos and write about it all. This is just a short note for now. I cried a lot, hugged a lot. I enjoyed being around many of my family. Many could not make it but we still knew they were there. Grandma raised a family that dispersed far and wide across the US, but feel tightly knit.

The church people fed us so well after the funeral, and the local bakery lady had brought donuts from her shop. Grandma used to take us kids there to choose a treat, and always had bags full of day old donuts in the freezer. I have an image frozen in my mind of opening the freezer on the back porch and discovering what seemed to be a whole shelf of bags of donuts. The delight I felt must have made that memory stick while so many others have evaporated. So the bakery lady told me to take home the ones that were left over after the lunch, and I was again delighted, but I forgot the box when it came time to leave. My aunt & uncle drove me to the bakery to get some more. There's one jelly one left in my fridge now. I don't think it really makes a sensible memorial, but for some reason it's still there....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home